Choose Your Shop
Available from the Charcuterie Suzanne Delicatessen counter at Arkadia Foodstore Gozo
Spianata, an Italian cured meat, is a culinary delight and one of the earliest types of salami produced. Originating from a broad family of traditional Roman charcuterie from Calabria, it is made by combining seasoned lean pork thigh with hot pepper paste, creating a robust and spicy flavour profile. The mixture is pressed, giving it a flat shape and enhancing its unique texture. The salami is aged, allowing the flavours to develop and intensify.
There are two variations of Spianata: a sweet version with black peppercorns or a spicy version with red pepper. Sliced thinly, it is perfect for antipasti platters, sandwiches, or enjoyed on its own. The blend of spiciness and savoury notes makes it a favourite among charcuterie enthusiasts, adding a bold and distinctive touch to any culinary experience.
Spianata's bold flavors pair well with a variety of accompaniments. Enjoy it with crusty bread, olives, aged cheeses, and pickled vegetables. The heat of the meat complements the richness of the cheese, creating a delightful charcuterie experience.
Recipe: Spianata Pizza
Time: 10 mins
- 275g pizza dough
- Pizza or tomato sauce
- Slices of Spianata (sweet or spicy)
- 60g buffalo mozzarella, thinly sliced
- Italian herbs
- Fresh basil leaves
- Garlic, finely minced
- Truffle oil
1. Preheat the oven at the highest temperature.
2. Shape the pizza dough into a round and thin base using your hands.
3. Spread the pizza or tomato sauce onto the pizza. Season with Italian herbs and minced garlic.
4. Add the mozzarella and Spianata slices and bake for 5-10 minutes.
5. Garnish with basil leaves and drizzle some truffle oil on the pizza before serving.
Stay up to date with our counter products and recipe ideas - https://arkadiafoodstore.com/2023/08/04/counters-gozo/
Tell your Facebook friends about it.