Choose Your Shop
Available from the PRIME Butcher Counter at Arkadia Foodstore Gozo.
Cumberland sausages are pork sausages which originated from Cumberland, England and are traditionally produced as a single long sausage wound in a coil. They have a coarse texture and are seasoned with pepper, herbs, and spices. Cumberland sausages are ideal for grilling, barbequing, and frying.
Recipe: Cumberland Sausage Pie
Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 8 Cumberland sausages
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 15g butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 100ml red wine
- 400ml beef stock
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1-2 tbsp Cumberland sauce
- 1 tsp orange zest (optional)
- Salt and pepper
For the topping:
- 1kg potatoes, chopped into chunks
- 30g butter
- 1 bunch of spring onions, cut into rounds
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 50ml single cream
- 100g cheddar cheese, grated
1. Skin the sausages. Cut each sausage into 4 pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
2. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil and fry the sausage balls until brown on all sides, then set aside.
3. Heat the remaining oil and butter in a large saucepan. Add the vegetables and sauté them for a few minutes. Cover, and let them cook for about 10 minutes until tender. Stir regularly.
4. Stir in the flour and once it blends into the oil, stir in the tomato purée. Increase the heat and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly. Pour in the wine and bring to a boil, continuing to stir.
5. Add the stock, Worcestershire sauce, and herbs. Stir in the Cumberland sauce and orange zest, then add the sausage balls. Season generously with salt and pepper.
6. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer. Cook the sauce for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until reduced and thickened.
7. Meanwhile, start preparing the topping by bringing a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add the potatoes, season with salt, and cook for 10-15 minutes until tender.
8. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius or 180 degrees Celsius if fan assisted.
9. Drain the potatoes and mash until smooth.
10. Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the spring onions. Fry until softened, then add the potatoes to the pan with the mustard and the cream. Beat together until well-combined.
11. Transfer the filling to a pie dish and spread the mashed potato over the top. Rough it up a bit using a fork. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for about 30 minutes until well-browned.
Stay up to date with our counter products and recipe ideas - https://arkadiafoodstore.com/2023/08/04/counters-gozo/
Tell your Facebook friends about it.